1. Tank tops and flab are okay. Seriously, I didn’t want my cellulite flying around, like anyone else taking a dance class. The truth is, Zumba classes aren’t like the advertisements. There’s a lot of women there of different shapes and sizes, and I don’t have to hide under clothing that’s just going to make me sweat more.
2. I don’t have to know how to dance. In reality, we can all dance. You just have to move your body to the music, follow the instructor the best you can, and if you miss a move–no one is judging. You still get your workout, and have tons of fun! We do need to give credit to these instructors, because without them, us students would be a bit lost.
3. It’s not just Latin or salsa dancing. The dance moves are often simple, but it’s a blend of a bit of everything, from hip hop to latin to pop and more. I like to try different instructors, because they all have their own specialties, when it comes to dance style. These instructors deserve lots of credit, as they make us feel like we are all dancing with the stars, so to speak. They make the choreography repetitive and fun and always keep us smiling.
4. You can’t just buy it for the Wii or XBox and get the same effect. The music is much different for one, but also the social aspects don’t make it as enjoyable. Being able to laugh and socialize is part of what makes this workout so much fun. You realize you are part of a community.
5. Before you judge if this is for you, you really should give it a 3 week challenge. If you dont love it after 3 weeks, dont continue, but if you are like most of us, you will love how you feel after each class. It’s like stress is melting off as you dance away your cares. It also feels like you just went out with friends dancing it up, and yet you are getting a great work out in.
If you are curious about zumba, come to a class at Murphysboro Weight Loss and Fitness in Murphysboro, Illinois, 1200 Locust Street. Classes are Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:30pm and Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6pm. There is a great group of ladies that come out and everyone has a good time, while they get a great work out in. If you are not local, I encourage you to find a group in your area and give it the 3 week challenge. Hope to see you there!